Monday 23 July 2012

What inspires me Pt 2: The influence of 'Metal'


I'm talking about metal music. I love it. I've been a fan of the scene since I was 14, so that's 20 years now. Just yesterday I lost myself in the latest Gojira and Fear Factory albums, and right now I have the new Baroness album playing.
As a young teenager of 13, I was listening to the likes of Michael Jackson and Madonna. It wasn't until I went over to a friends house that I discovered something different. He had these posters plastered all over his wall, of guys will long hair sticking their middle fingers up! The band was Guns N' Roses. I had never heard of them. I was 13, and I was a fan of 'pop' music. He stuck on their (now legendary) album Appetite For Destruction and I was instantly hooked to 'that' sound. It was loud and angry and had a purpose. Just what I needed as a teenager. It's that moment that kicked off my love of loud rock and metal music.
It wasn't until about a year later that things turned a little darker. Guns N' Roses were great, but they were more heavy rock. Metal was about to enter my life. I was watching the Freddy Mercury tribute of 1992, and this band called Metallica came on stage. They blew me away! With their monstrous riffs and pounding grooves, I was completely awe-struck. This was even better... so Metallica became the soundtrack to my teenage years, and I first saw them live at Donnington in 1995. Off the back of discovering Metallica, I was introduced to bands such as Megadeth, Sepultura, Pantera, Rage Against the Machine, Korn and Machine Head... who filled my teenage years with meaning, drive and determination. There's no bullshit with 'metal'. It's honest, emotionally driven music that doesn't give a fuck about anything else. It gave me strength in some very difficult times in the late 90's. If it wasn't for metal, I may not have made it. It was (and still is) a huge part of my life.
Metal music inspires me because it has strength, depth and a 'can do' attitude. It doesn't waffle off into self-pity or despair. It doesn't have that horrid 'pop' ethos of style over substance either. There's nothing 'fake' about metal. It is what it is... take it or leave it. So this has been a great influence over the years, giving me strength when needed. I guess, for me, it's a belief system. It kind of makes sense, as you're already aware of my 'Fuck it' and nihilistic foundations. Metal fits well with my genetic make up. For some reason it strikes a chord... and no other music comes close.
When 2000 turned up, the metal scene was having a shit time. Nu-metal was in full swing, which was a bit too commercial and accessible for my liking. One of the attractions to metal was not just the sound, but also the fact that it's controversial and pisses people off! I love the fact that some people I know can't stand metal. I feel like I'm part of a special club. That's what you get when you're a metal fan... it's like being in a big family. Where everyone looks out for each other. If you're a metal fan, you're part of the alternative scene... which has the most incredible array of good, honest people I have ever met. Like I said, there's no fakery, no bullshit. You become part of something that's 'real'. For me, that's been a life-saver. Literally.
Of recent years, the metal scene has re-established itself and is back on course. The bands I am into at the moment include Gojira, Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders, Fear Factory, Deftones, Mastodon and Baroness. To name a few.
20 years on... I still love this music. I'll never grow tired of it as it has so much to offer. I look forward to being in my 70s and going to a metal festival, because I know I'll be looked after, and it will drive me to exist well into my 90s. It gives me fuel. It gives me that fire in my belly, to grab life by the balls and get on with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment