Friday 13 July 2012

Writing my first novel


After chewing on an idea for the best part of 14 years, I have finally begun work on my first novel.
The concept I had 14 years ago, was not to write a novel... but to make a film. The idea was to plan out the story, write a killer script and visualise it via a storyboard. Then I would simply go around looking for any investors. This never happened. The furthest I got was working with a scriptwriter in 2002. It's been a 'pet project' of mine, and has always fallen away from me due to other commitments: work, family... life! Now though, I am determined to get this story out of my head, and the best way for me to do it is to write it down. So I've decided to do it as a novel.
Why a novel?
Well, all I need is me, a computer and a little time each day. So I can get this story out of my head (where it's driving me crazy), and from there I'll see what it leads to. I believe in my story and characters so much that I'm convinced it can be sold, but that's not why I'm doing it. I'm doing it out of love and passion. As said, this has been rattling around in my mind for 14 years... and I need to get it out! I think we all have ideas at some point for a book, and I've decided to finally act on it. My task is to get at least 1 page down every day. If so, I'll have it complete in 2 years. You know, doing it as a hobby.
So what's the story?
Well, I'm going to have to be very vague about it at this stage because I don't want to give anything away. However, I will be giving development updates over the comings months/years on this blog site. The story is called Underneath The Waves and it's basic premise is this:
Human existence and its meaning is questioned. These questions follow a select few characters and how they react, grow and confront the reality of their lives.
It falls within the dramatic sci-fi genre, where what we think is real... isn't. How do people cope with that?
Sure it sounds like quite a few books/films out there at this stage... but it isn't. Like I said, I'm keeping it vague.
Have you ever had an idea for a book?

No comments:

Post a Comment