Monday 18 June 2012

A new design for life


Who says it has to be this way? I think that we all question our existence on a daily basis... whether we are fully conscious of this thought process or not. We're always weighing up the pros and cons of a situation, so why not apply this to a new design for life?
For me, my journey so far has been a roller-coaster. Fun, exciting, stressful and often chaotic. I wouldn't change any of the experiences I have had, plus I don't want to forget anything either. I think our experiences make us rich. For me, experiences far outweigh materialistic 'wealth'. I would rather go on a trip, go to a gig or spend time with friends than indulge in pointless material possessions. I'm currently going through 'a new design for life' process. This blog being one aspect of this shift... an outlet for me to express what's important to me, and maybe those of you who read it are inspired or discouraged by its content. Either way, action is taken.
As I've said, my life has been a roller-coaster so far, and I hope it continues this way. There are however elements that I don't want to pursue:
'Fear' is the main one for me.
'Regret' comes a close second.
In the last two months I have decided to say 'Fuck It' (see previous blog: 6 June 2012) to fear and regret. I don't want to be laying on my death bed in 50 years thinking 'Shit, I didn't do that!' or 'I wish I could go back and try that again.' No... that's not how it's going to be for me. I'm taking a deep fucking breath and getting on with what I want to do. I want to make a living as an artist (see previous blog: 15 May 2012). I have stuff I need to do. I won't sit back and be dictated to, or work in a job I hate to buy crap I don't need. That's for crazy people.
I will not be afraid. I will have no regrets.
Maybe you are satisfied with your life, and the concept of redesigning it doesn't apply to you. Good. I am happy that you are content. Just make sure it is the 'you' you want to live, and not governed by anyone else... or anything else. Look closer, look deeper... are you truly being honest with yourself?
I haven't been completely honest with myself for a number of years now. During my late 20's and early 30's I lost my way. I lost my inner calling. It's only now that I am rediscovering what it is that's missing and reconnecting with it. I was being pulled into the system... an office job, a boring job where my only outlet was to then buy crap to make myself feel better. So, I decided to quit.
I went self-employed a few years ago to break the cycle, and that was one of the boldest most exciting moves I have ever made (up there with marrying my beautiful wife and the birth of our child). It was a significant step forward, and the business is going well. It excites me that I've gone out and made that money off my own back, as opposed to working for someone else. Now I know I can do it, I'm going to continue running this business whilst also developing my own personal artwork.
Finally, after ten years of contemplation, I've said 'you know what, fuck It!' and got that tattoo I've always wanted. I also begin skydiving next year.
This is my new design.
No fear, no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment